Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sick days

I am experiencing a glimpse into what summer vacation will be like. Sydney is home ill today but she's not really ill enough to be miserable and just want to lay in bed. She's congested and has a cough but after about an hour of laying in my bed decided that was boring. Her little sister is bored because she didn't get to go to the gym this morning because her sister is home sick. So now I have two kids who are fighting and arguing over just about everything they can, did I mention it's not even 10:30am yet?

While I am catching up on my school volunteer activities I thought I would share with you a program that my sister-in-law found. It's through the Contra Costa County Library and it's called Discover & Go Basically with your library card you can get free passes to a number of cool places. We haven't reserved one yet, but we are actually thinking of doing the CalShakes passes and having an adult night to go to see a play and have a picnic. Lots of great places to choose and it's free! If you don't have a library card, go get one! Since I have been home Kylie and I have been hitting the library once a week to get books for the girls and for myself. The libraries also have great programs for kids. For instance on Wednesday's the Moraga Library has toddler time at 11am. It's circle time with stories, singing and bubbles. We arrived early to browse the books and check out some items before the start and Kylie had a great time, and it's FREE!

Today, I thought I would share an super easy recipe that my friend shared with me who happens to be a tri-athlete. Not only is it super easy but it's healthy! While I'm not working anymore it doesn't mean I can't appreciate a super easy and quick meal!


Chicken and Rice w/ Spinach, Tomato and Feta
(use as much or as little of ingredients as you want,  this can be made for one or for a family)

Chicken (for a quick meal buy the rotisserie chicken and just chop up the chicken) 
Brown Rice (I used Uncle Ben's pre-cooked rice, 1 bag for two or two bags for a family of 4)
Fresh spinach leaves
Tomatoes
Feta Cheese
Olive Oil 
Garlic


In a saute pan heat up olive oil and garlic until fragrant
Add fresh spinach leaves, saute but don't cook them until they wilt 
Add your tomatoes and saute them until warm
Add in the cooked rice and chicken and cook until all ingredients are heated
Add salt and pepper to taste
Add your feta and serve. 




I wasn't really sure if my husband would eat it given the spinach and brown rice. We worked late that night so I had a nice advantage that he was hungry and that he probably would have eaten just about anything. He said it was good, and than I told him it was healthy and his comment was "Figures". 


That's it for today as Sydney is crying because Kylie just hit her in the head with a shoe.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment