Monday, May 16, 2011

When life gives you lemons...

We have a Meyer Lemon Tree that is our best performing citrus tree.

It looks a little bare, I've been making lemonade once  a week for several weeks now, not sure how we will make it through the summer!

I have found some great recipes to make use of all of our lemons but nothing makes the best use of lemons like lemonade. I've kind of always been disappointed with my homemade lemonade. I have found in past years that making a simple syrup for your lemonade is a much better solution than to just pour raw sugar into your lemonade.

Several weeks ago I had a lot of fresh mint leftover from another dish I had made. The thought occurred to me to use it in my lemonade because I love mint so much. I made a mint simple syrup and who knew, everyone has been raving about how good it is! It's pretty simple but here is the recipe:

2 cups of freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 cups of cold water
Mint Simple Syrup

Simmer 1 cup of water with one cup of sugar and a bunch of fresh mint leaves until you have a pale green color syrup. Combine with your lemon juice and water, stir, serve over ice and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint. 

If you happen to need a kick to your lemonade add a shot of vodka to your glass for a nice summer cocktail.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment